The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering at Epoka University is to prepare our graduates to become professional engineers and leaders in the civil engineering profession by providing our students with a solid education. Additionally, the department provides opportunities for enhancement of the students’ educational experience through meaningful interactions with the profession. We will:
- educate the next generation of engineering leaders to formulate and solve complex problems of importance to society, to collaborate as productive team members, to engage in life-long learning, and to act professionally and ethically;
- extend engineering knowledge across the breadth of the discipline and beyond through creative, innovative research ranging from the fundamental to the applied;
- facilitate the understanding and use of new ideas, technologies, and practices for the betterment of society through service and leadership in local, state, national, and international communities.
In summary, we expect our graduates to be fully prepared for life-long learning experiences that will strengthen their abilities to successfully and effectively solve the complex civil engineering problems facing society.
A Department of Civil Engineering recognized worldwide for excellence in engineering education, creation of knowledge, and leadership in professional and public service.
Civil Engineering covers a wide range of engineering applications from dams, tunnels, pipelines and highways to buildings. Civil Engineering is distinguished as being one of the earliest engineering disciplines. Throughout the ages it has provided creative and feasible solutions to many of the basic human needs and problems, and it still continues to take pride in being a fundamental building block of civilization.
With the aim of meeting our mission statement, the civil engineering faculty must ensure that our educational programs accomplish several objectives. First, our faculty must prepare the students to:
- address the current and future civil engineering needs of the people of the state of Albania,
- recognize the important geopolitical and public policy needs,
- and solve technical problems.
In addition, the faculty must provide a curriculum that integrates scientific and technical knowledge together with an appreciation for social, economic, and political concerns. The curriculum must:
- build leadership skills,
- address issues of professionalism and ethical responsibility, and
- recognize the need to engage in life long learning.
Finally, the Department of Civil Engineering at Epoka University must promote the highest academic excellence, quality, and competitiveness for both our undergraduate and graduate programs that will provide local, state, national, and international leadership to a profession that must solve the civil engineering problems facing an increasingly complex society.
Civil Engineering program is based on three year Bachelor Degrees. The first year of the program is dedicated to the study of basic sciences and mathematics which provide the student with engineering fundamentals. The second and third year are mainly composed of basic engineering courses involving the study and application of the principles of geotechnical engineering (behavior of soils, design of foundations), structural engineering (analysis and design of reinforced concrete and steel structures), hydraulics engineering (flow of water in pipes, water resources), and the general systems approach to engineering problems. The students are also exposed to an introduction to construction management and economics which are essential to every practicing engineer. Summer practice at the end of the second and third year, and courses at the last year aim to provide a Civil Engineering perspective to students.
Curriculum of the program includes elective courses, which give an opportunity to students to improve their professional skills according to their interests. Some of them are nontechnical and free elective courses, the remaining are civil engineering electives. The requirements for a Diploma in Civil Engineering include the completion of minimum of 180 ECTS credits of formal course work and 60 days of approved practical training.